02 January 2008

Finally!

Wednesday January 2
I am finally at an internet cafe because at least a few things are open today!
We're going on Day Number 6 of no water and I'm really hoping it's back on by the time I get home. Surprisingly I look decently presentable.
Our Mombasa trip got canceled due to continued violence and I'm really hoping we get a refund. The violence continues throughout the country, but here everything is relatively fine. We're just sticking close to home. Over 170 people are dead, over 70,000 displaced from their homes countrywide right now. Places like Kibera have just been in flames and constantly demonstrating since the announcement. I just hope Raila will see that at this point he's the one with the power to tell people to promote peace and not just think about how he was unjustly treated in this election.
The US and the EU aren't recognizing the election tallying as fair and Kibaki as the president. A lot of the ECK (Electoral Commission of Kenya) officials have come out and said that there actually were a lot of discrepancies in the tallying. I think the announcement of the presidential winner was made when it was-before checking everything again and making sure the results were accurate- because a lot of bribing was going on..Too bad they forgot to bribe everyone on the commission and now all these other officials are coming out and saying it really wasn't fair or accurate. I think there's going to be some kind of investigation, not really sure what it will do or what will come out of it. Raila said he's willing to talk with Kibaki, but only if he admits that he isn't the rightful winner of the election..Kibaki's never going to say that, so I'm disappointed with Raila because that's not going to help a peaceful situation at all. Raila says he wants to have a rally on Thursday in Uhuru Park, but I don't know if the government will allow it. There were also rumors right after the announcement that he was going to have a rally and the government quickly said if anyone was assembling in the park it was illegal and they would arrest you. There was heavy police guard everywhere.

I think most people just want things to go back to normal as soon as possible, most people are just sticking to home. I hope the violence stops soon and we're able to travel and do normal things again. This is a wonderful country, I don't want to see everything they've built here ruined.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This whole situation is terrible. My husband just returned home there almost one month ago. I now have not heard from him since the Tuesday before Christmas. I pray for everyones saftey and a peaceful ending soon. I am glad for your blog because all the information I get is the five minute glimps on the World News. Take Care and God Bless!!!!

Nell said...

love you sassy. glad to hear from you and glad you and your family are safe.