19 October 2007

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Sunday, October 14

We had a great day today, the fam and I. Kalanzo Musyoka, the 3rd presidential candidate had his opening campaign rally today in Uhuru Park across the street. Since it was a Sunday, cousins were hanging out at the house when I wandered in in the morning. I wanted to check out the rally at some point just to see what it was like so Michelle, Chippa and I walked down there in search of ice cream. It was fun! Orange all over the place and thousands and thousands of people. It seemed a little more low-key than the Raila rally 2 weekends ago, but there were still a zillion people there. I was tempted to climb up some of the trees to see better the way that some people had done. We asked if they were still giving out T-shirts, but they said that was only in the morning. The guy said he’d get us some shirts later on though, so hopefully I have one coming! Then I had to study for my Kiswahili exam tomorrow so I headed over to Java House downtown because it’s about the only coffee house open on Sunday. I convinced Michelle and Chippa to come meet me later, insisting they would be helpful as fluent Kiswahili speakers. They didn’t seem so enthused, but must’ve been bored because they still showed up. I think they were surprised at how much fun we had. We probably stayed there 3 or 4 hours practicing Kiswahili and laughing about all kinds of stuff. Then chapati and ndengu (mashed beans and peas) for dinner, my favorite! (even though I accidentally told someone we were eating ndege which means airplane or bird, teehee) A lovely Sunday.

No comments: