13 October 2007

Eldoret Daytrip

Tuesday, October 9

On Saturday my mom, Michelle and a driver and I all drove to Eldoret for the day where my youngest sister, Monique, who is 15 goes to boarding school. It was long day-12 hours in the car for 3 hours spent at the school. It was so much fun though! I like riding in the car, just looking out the window and chatting. This was a really bad road though…and I thought the road to Mombasa was bad! Dad, you thought Shippy Road should have been renamed something else on our bike trip because it was so bad. Man, Shippy was smooth as ice compared to what we were driving on to Eldoret! You just had to slow down to about 5 MPH a lot to slowly drive over all the huge potholes and ruts. It’s sad that the roads are so badly taken care of, and that a trip that should take under 3 hours takes 6+ hours. It’s not like the state doesn’t have the money, it’s just mismanaged and not made a priority.

Anyhow, we got there in one piece and I got to meet Monique finally. She’s so great! She ran into the car, gave me a big hug and said “Alexandra!” when she saw me. We also met up with another sister, Cheryl who is 18 or 19 I think and goes to Moi University near Eldoret. Louis, a close family friend who also goes to Moi University also came. So now I’ve met all my siblings except for the 2 in the US. We had a really nice picnic lunch with all kinds of food! Chapati, fried chicken, pilau, beef, soda, mandazi (a little like donuts), samosas. It was amazing, we had good times eating and chatting and seeing Moni’s school-(they call her that too, Mom!) It was family visitor’s day, that’s why we came. Then a long long journey home that seemed to go on forever. We also brought Cheryl home with us because she just finished her semester so she’s home for the next 2 weeks. This is why I missed the rally in Uhuru Park on Saturday, there will be more though.

Happy birthday today, John Lennon!

No comments: