29 July 2012

Continued House Arrest (sort of)

January 4, 2008

Time here passes slowly but it's not so bad. It's funny that I always wish to have this kind of leisure time with absolutely nothing to do but sit around and laze and read any other time but then when it's forced, it becomes a little unbearable at times. I've gotten to spend a lot of time contemplating the meaning of life and wondering why we do always have to have stuff to do to occupy ourselves. Sitting and watching people change a tire for 1 1/2 hours on the street below you is kind of interesting...but there is also a limit to the amount of interest you can get from sitting observing what's around you. Maybe I'm just not creative enough. It's not that I can't go out of the house, I can go walk around town, but it's not really that interesting because nearly everything's closed and there aren't many people around. Everyone's saying this will all die down soon and I hope they're right.

Yesterday morning saw a little bit of excitement. I was sitting up on the roof listening to the yells and stuff I could hear coming from Uhuru Park because there was supposed to be a big ODM rally there, but there was a police guard surrounding the park so I didn't really think the rally would happen-and it didn't. But anyhow, all these people came along running down the street below hollering and I heard some shots (gun?) so I started getting a little nervous and ducked down to watch and got out my camera. Soon the police came running after them with big shields and some on horses. Then after that came the journalists running behind them. The runners ran into the park and that was that. This happened maybe 3 or 4 times in the morning. We heard lots of shots of tear gas all the rest of the morning and all afternoon was quiet.

Watched some bad music videos on TV for awhile, watched Weeds, watched the news-Desmond Tutu came to mediate, but I don't think Kibaki and Raila have talked yet, played some cards with Moni. Then I realized Michelle was over at my mom's office on the internet so I went over there to find that I can surf the internet there to my heart's content

No comments: